Logo

 

Getting Involved in the Community

The Congregation connects with the community through many activities
 
 

Living is Giving

Garage Sales

Scripture in Schools

Food Parcels for Parramatta Mission



Living is Giving
Our congregation contributing to the wider work of the church

The primary means by which congregations in the Synod of New South Wales and the ACT of the Uniting Church contribute to the church’s mission and service at home and abroad, is through Living is Giving. It links congregations’ giving and mission planning with the ministry of the whole Uniting Church.

In addition to the other outreach programs listed here, Wesley is currently contributing $17000 p.a. to Living is Giving, to be used by the Church for its state-wide projects. The funds come from a range of our fundraising activities, but principally from our twice-yearly Garage Sales, which are supported not only by our own hard-working volunteers, but also by members of the community who donate items and come to buy.


  Garage Sales
An activity that involves our members and the whole community

We hold Garage Sales twice a year, but the congregation works throughout the year to sort, store and prepare the items for sale. Each sale runs over two days, and involves a large number of volunteers to set up, manage the sale and refreshments, and clear up afterwards. 

This is an important activity on several fronts: principally, it involves people from the community who have come to know us as they donate no-longer-needed items for sale, but also it assists those who need to set up house at minimal cost. Often, when the Hills Family Centre wants an item of furniture for a needy family, we are able to supply something from our Garage Sale store.

The Garage Sales also provide substantial income, much of which is directed to the Uniting Church's outreach program Living is Giving, to the Hills Family Centre and to other good causes.

Read more of the history of our Garage Sales

[Back to top]


Scripture in Schools
Wesley provides accredited lay teachers to conduct Special Religious Education classes in local schools.
Currently we have a teacher conducting a two classes each week in Primary School, and we provide material support for Scripture teaching in High Schools. Specific approved material to teach scripture/S.R.E. in schools is used in the scripture classes. Statistics show that only 27% of children who attend school scripture classes also go to church or Sunday School; so for the other 73%, this may be their only religious experience to hear the good news of God’s love to all these precious children.

Previously we have had more volunteers, and we would always welcome more helpers! We have approved training for those interested in teaching scripture.

If you are interested (especially former/part-time/retired teachers)! please contact Mrs. Margaret Crofts 9629 3035, Scripture Coordinator at Wesley.

(Click on the picture for a larger version.)

[Back to top]


Food Parcels for Parramatta Mission
Each winter and Christmas we collect food parcels to help Parramatta Mission in their work with needy people

Parramatta Mission has been providing services to people who are homeless, facing crisis and living with mental illness for over 40 years. Its broader history can be traced back to the opening of the first Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on the current head office site in 1821, and with it - the commencement of multiple community outreach and support services.

Our Winter and Christmas collections usually deliver 50 to 70 bags to Parramatta Mission.

For more information on the Mission, see parramattamission.org.au.

[Back to top]


Updated 21st May 2017